We’re all guilty of neglecting some of the nooks and crannies around the house when we clean from time to time. If you’re a student living away from home for the first time you may not even be aware of the horrors that lurk on top of the kitchen cupboards after 6 months of grease and steam has accumulated. In this post we take a look at how often some of the most neglected areas of a home should really be cleaned.
How often to clean items in the kitchen
Basic hygiene suggests you should wipe your surfaces and clean the dishes as you go. But what about some of the often-forgotten items?
- Floors – Vacuum & disinfect at least weekly
- Clean out expired food from the fridge – weekly
- Clean the inside of the microwave – weekly (you’ll be amazed how much gunk can accumulate on the top if left longer)
- Clean the dishwasher, washing machine and other appliances – monthly (wipe around the seals with a damp cloth to remove any build-up of grime)
- Inside of the fridge (including the seals, shelves and drawers) – every 3-6 months
- Descale kettle/coffee maker – every 3-6 months
- Clean expired food out of the freezer – every 3-6 months
- Freshen Drains – every 3-6 months
- Clean oven – every 3-6 months
- Kitchen Extractor fan / hood & Tops of cupboards near the cooker – every 3-6 months
- Inside & tops of cupboards and drawers – unless a spot clean is needed tackle every 6 months
How often to clean items in living/reception rooms
You may perform some of these tasks more or less often than suggested, depending upon where you live or the time of year.
- Dust & polish – weekly – include mirrors and any cables which are magnets for dust
- Vacuum floors & Furniture – weekly
- Vacuum vents – Monthly
- Dust blinds – Monthly
- Dust light fixtures – Monthly
- Windows – Monthly
- Wash curtains – 6 monthly
- Deep clean carpets & upholstery – 6 months to a year depending upon how high traffic the area is.
- Chimneys & fireplaces – yearly is usually fine unless you notice any damage
How often to clean items in bathrooms
Again, if you have a large family or someone who works in a dirty environment who is using the facilities you may choose to do these tasks more often.
- Wipe down surfaces – Daily (after everyone is finished in the morning/evening is the ideal time)
- Squeegee surfaces which have contact with water (shower screens and walls for example) – daily
- Mop floor – weekly
- Sanitise surfaces – weekly
- Clean mirrors – weekly
- Windows - monthly
- Freshen drains – every 3-6 months
- Clean shower curtain (or replace if not possible) – 6 monthly
How often to clean items in bedrooms
As with the other rooms these will largely depend upon your family dynamic (small children and very inebriated adults have been known to have a few accidents).
- Make your bed – daily
- Change your bedding – weekly
- Dust surfaces (& clean mirrors) – weekly
- Vacuum floors & Mattress – weekly
- Dust light fixtures, vents & blinds – monthly
- Windows - monthly
- Wash pillows, throws, duvets, quilts – every 3-6 months (3 months is recommended in warmer temperatures)
- Clean curtains – every 6 months
- <link to carpet cleaning page>Deep clean carpets & upholstery – 6 months to a year depending upon the usage of the area.
These are the main areas of most houses but of course everyone’s needs will be slightly different. At Crisp and Brite we can tackle the toughest stains so if you’re a landlord that needs a deep clean after a tenant leaves call Tony on 07949 403046 and he’ll be happy to help.